Streamline Meal Prep
Updated: Oct 21, 2019
You know the cliche, work smarter not harder? Read below for some great ideas so that you cook smarter without making it harder on yourself.
IS THE STOVE ON? WHAT ELSE WILL NEED TO BE COOKED THIS WEEK?
- Can you roast some extra vegetables? Cook some extra chicken for your lunches?
- Make a roasted chicken and also make chicken soup at the same time
- Cook meat for the week while making dinner for that night
- If the grill is on. Grill a steak. Chicken breast in tinfoil, cube for salad or casserole later in the week.
- Toss some vegetables on a pan to roast them alongside whatever else you are baking
- Roasted kale chips are quick and are a great snack for munching while preparing your meal.
- To make life easier, you can buy any pre-chopped vegetables and quickly put in a tray to roast while you make the rest of your meal.
IS YOUR FOOD PROCESSOR OUT?
- Blend some almost-too-ripe vegetables in to a sauce or soup. Add seasoning like ginger for a great sauce.
- Don’t overlook the concept of mixing your leftover vegetables in to ready-made foods.
- Mix in pureed vegetables with tomato sauce or add them to a canned soup.
- Blend leftover vegetables and pour them into an ice cube tray and pop it in to different meals you are cooking.
IS THE CUTTING BOARD OUT? WHAT ELSE CAN BE CHOPPED AND STORED FOR LATER?
- Clear glass containers for chopped fruit.
- What can you do as you unload your groceries?
- As you unload groceries, put your raw chicken/fish directly in to a baking dish with seasoning. Marinate in the fridge until you are ready to cook it later this week.
- When you unload your groceries take a few extra minutes to get items in to a more ‘ready-to-grab/cook’ state.
- Make your ground meat into patties before you freeze it. Wax paper. Brown and freeze meat.
BUY PRE-PREPARED ITEMS
- Pre-chopped vegetables
- Pre- grilled chicken
- Minute brown rice or quinoa, farro, quick cook barley
BUY WHOLE FOODS THAT CAN BE COOKED QUICKLY IN THE MICROWAVE
- Potato/Sweet potato
- Plain steamer bag of frozen vegetables
- Plain steamer bag rice
- Peeled rinsed corn-on-the cob
BLEND RESTAURANT LEFTOVERS WITH ITEMS FROM YOUR KITCHEN
- Re purpose restaurant pasta as a side dish with tonight's dinner or add vegetables and and protein to make it a full meal
- Use leftover sauce to flavor your next dish